Rockin' the Retro - Making Mercury Retrograde a Win
So it’s that dreaded time again, when everything. stops. working. Mercury is retrograde until May 22nd, and doesn’t come out of its shadow until June 7th (incidentally, the same day my book comes out!). So far I’ve broken a toilet, loaded the wrong template onto my website, missed an appointment, and forgotten what day it was (5 times). I typically approach Mercury Retrograde in two ways: one, in denial that it will actually affect me in any way, because I’m special; or two, the feeling that I essentially have to put my life on hold, and get caught up on my filing, until it goes direct again.
Now you all know that I’m not an astrologer (I missed that class at Hogwarts), but as a mystic and metaphysician I feel, understand, and know that we are all intrinsically connected to the patterns, webs, and vibrations of the Universe. I used to wonder if I’d be so affected by this phase if I didn’t know anything about it, but the truth is that while we may filter things out or be unaware, we are impacted by everything that goes on around us nonetheless.
Happily, this doesn’t mean that we have to be trapped in 25+ days of dysfunction! So many of us have become conditioned to identifying this as a phase when everything gets “fa-cocked” (as a friend of mine once put it), rather than identifying and delighting in all the positive aspects it can bring. Yes, you read that correctly: If we approach it from a different perspective, we can delight in Mercury Retrograde.
Case in point: Though my book launches on an auspicious date (thank you, Universe!), the critic in me has been having a field day over the fact that my whole pre-launch/promotional junket will be taking place during an inauspicious astrological phase. As a result, I initially reacted by rushing to get things in motion, get things started, make agreements, make big changes, and make connections, all before the dreaded date of April 28th (at 1:20pm EDT).
And yet, when I tuned in underneath the fear/ego panic, there was a feeling, a knowingness, that everything was going to be fine, great even, during Mercury Retrograde. I felt a sense of peace, calm, the assuredness that I could sink into my writing, creative, and spiritual process at a leisurely pace, that my work with my contacts and clients would deepen further, and that it would be a wonderful, juicy, healing, and productive time. I was being guided to appreciate the flipside of Mercury Retrograde.
So I went online, danced past all the cautions and fear-mongering, and looked for the positive aspects of this phase. Now I happen to be a lover of lists, so I have made a list of all the good attributes of Merc Retro for you guys to peruse and ponder. Consider seizing on a couple that feel relevant to you and/or your process at this time, and devote this phase to indulging in them fully and gratefully.
- Developing your intuition and psychic abilities
- Shadow-self healing (and healing work in general)
- Finding old friends on facebook to reconnect and reminisce
- Looking at old, negative habits and patterns, and figuring out ways to shift them for good
- Writing: journals, thoughts, memoirs, old stories you’ve been meaning to develop or set down on paper
- Recommitting to goals/projects/intentions that were started (and then abandoned) around the new year
- Dream work and past life memory recall
- Deepening your spiritual practice
- Accepting and assessing what’s not working in your life, and looking for the real reasons why
- Excavating, exploring and expanding on dormant gifts, talents, hobbies, rituals, and other parts of your radiance
- Clearing out clutter and stagnant energy in your home, making space for greater and more positive flow of chi (pump up your Kondo mojo and crack open those old feng shui books!)
- Making a faery garden in your window box (revisit the childhood joy of craft glue and popsicle sticks)
- Practicing mindfulness (breathe, come back to presence, breathe, come back to presence, repeat, repeat…)
- Embracing and sharing in greater levels of compassion, self-love, and celebration
- Ok, fine: Clearing out that inbox! Getting caught up on filing!! Whittling down that to-do list!!! (See above note on clutter)
- Reconnecting with dreams, visions, and aspirations you once had for yourself and your life. Where are you now? How do they line up? Do they need to be tweaked? Do you need to recommit?
- Slowing down and appreciating more of your life, as it is around you, right now (and giving yourself that added bit of time so that you don’t have to rush or stress)
- Taking the opportunity to do your due diligence and really research potential new projects, agreements, ventures, ideas, etc., that are not auspicious to start just yet
Just as there are auspicious times for action, abundance, and expansion, there are those that serve to enrich, deepen, and elevate our life experience. The energy of Mercury Retrograde lends itself beautifully to the latter. Rather than being an astrological pest, it is in fact a golden opportunity for us to take an evolutionary leap.
So I say let’s greet this phase with gusto, gratitude, and gumption, and make it a wonderful time indeed!
My blessings to you all.