Is Your Intuition Blocked? (Short answer: NO! And here’s why…)
It happens regularly in my work with clients that they ask about their intuition. Is it blocked? How can I make it stronger? How can I follow it more? It’s been my experience that if you feel your intuition is blocked, it’s likely that it’s functioning just fine, but that you just haven’t learned how to connect with it (yet).
Every living organism, including plants and cells, has intuition. It’s hardwired into our DNA blueprints as a means of surviving and thriving on this planet. While we may lose access to certain senses or abilities, losing our intuition is next to impossible. It is an inseparable part of our soul.
There was a time in human history when our intuition was ALL – it guided us away from danger, towards food sources, helped us to learn to communicate with each other, and make sense of the world around us. As human systems of language, religion, politics, culture, and economics developed, we began to rely more and more on what we were told, and what we learned and observed outside of ourselves, as opposed to listening to the guiding voice within.
I’ve witnessed quite a massive shift since 2012, seeing and working with more and more people who are slowly, tentatively, reaching out for more than their daily experiences, fears, and limitations, and searching for that spiritual part of themselves again. But when they take those first, few, thrilling steps, they’re hit with a massive challenge: How do they trust themselves again?
“Unblocking” your intuition really just comes down to being willing to take the risk and trust yourself.
That’s it, that’s all you need to do; your intuition does the rest because it knows its job and how to do it perfectly. It can feel like a pretty massive risk, though. I’ve been there so I understand. Your intuition can ask you to leap from following a small hunch, to quitting the job/marriage/field of study, etc. that makes you feel so miserable, and opting for something completely different that will make your heart sing, fill your bank account, improve your health, and so on.
Your intuition has one boss – your soul, and one purpose – your health and happiness.
Your intuition side-steps your fears, conditioning, limited thinking, judgments, doubts, and denial. It’s not its job to answer to those things. It has one boss, and that’s your soul. It has one purpose, and that’s to help fulfill your authentic needs and desires. The singularity of its purpose and the focus of its energy is why it can never go wrong. While your ego makes misguided attempts to protect and provide for you, your intuition nails it. Every. Single. Time.
You can re-learn/remember how to hear, trust, and follow your intuition.
I typically counsel baby-steps for people who feel their intuition is blocked, or who want to learn how to hear and follow it better. In following these steps, they’re usually surprised to discover that a) their intuition has already been guiding them along and they just didn’t realize it, and b) taking the risk to follow it always feels empowering and has positive results (even if it doesn’t seem like it at first).
So, without further ado, here’s some baby steps to help you start listening to, and following your intuition:
· Re-connect to your inner self: Spend one minute at the start of your day to sit quietly, eyes closed, and take a couple of deep breaths to help clear your mind and relax. Imagine breathing down into your center, where you feel your soul resides (it’s important to feel this, not think it). Breathe into your soul, and allow yourself to feel whatever you are feeling in the moment. Resolve to maintain that connection throughout the day, then take a deep breath, and continue on with your morning.
· Take note of any hunches you feel throughout the day: Whenever you feel a hunch, impulse, or what you think might be an intuition come up during the day (which could be a thought, feeling, image, emotion, or something you see or hear that stands out to you in some way) make a note of it either in a special notebook or in a file on your device. This is listening, and your intuition will take notice.
· Take action on a hunch: When you feel you’re ready, start taking action on something you’ve noted. Make a subsequent note of the result. Pay attention to when something is feeling good and right as you’re doing it, or if it feels wrong. Intuitive guidance and action will always feel positive because it’s meant to help you.
· Ask for guidance: Have a silent conversation with your intuition. Ask it for its guidance, tell it you’re listening. Be willing to follow.
· Work with crystals: Wearing amethyst, shiva lingam, blue tiger eye, citrine, moonstone, or jade boosts your intuition and makes it clearer and easier to hear.
· Pay attention: Keep reminding yourself to be mindful, because it’s hard to hear and follow your intuition if you’re on autopilot, rushing, stressed, feeding into worry or anxiety, or when you’re angry or afraid. Stop, breathe, reconnect to your inner self, and listen.
· Reward yourself: Following through on an intuition and reaping the positive results can be a reward in and of itself, but give yourself more. Following your intuition is the most natural thing in the world, but many of us have been conditioned away from it. Celebrate reclaiming your natural and divine birthright!
Final tip: Don’t pressure yourself, set yourself up with high expectations, or worry about being wrong. This is the easiest way for you to trip yourself up and end up back in your tight little “blocked” box. Let this be a gentle and enjoyable process, risk being wrong, and give yourself time. Remember: Your intuition’s sole purpose is to help fulfill your authentic needs and desires. Trust that it knows what’s best for you, even if you’re still figuring that out. I promise you’ll discover it, and a more magical, wonderful life, along the way.