Healing Crystals for Anxiety: Some Practical Tips
I remember the first time I experienced a full-blown anxiety attack: I was 18 years old, and it was right near the end of my solo in a performance of “Les Miserables”. I had to be carried backstage, and I felt like I was dying. I had trouble breathing, I’d lost a sense of anything or anybody around me. All I can remember clearly was laying on the cool, hard floor backstage and waiting until it was over.
My close, personal, healing relationship with crystals began because of my anxiety. I was recovering from a financial and emotional rock bottom, and based on a friend’s suggestion (who was studying crystal therapy at the time) I got a piece of blue lace agate (calming), agate (grounding), and tiger iron (steadying, empowering), and carried them in my pocket daily.
Each time I started to become overwhelmed, afraid, or anxious, I’d grab hold of those three crystals, breathe, feel their vibes, and remind myself that I could get through this. It was a tough time, and I credit those crystals over and over again for helping me get through it.
I did a search through my book “Change Your Energy: Healing Crystals for Health, Wealth, Love & Luck”, and there are over 15 crystal combinations and healing suggestions for anxiety. There’s anxiety about the state of our money and relationships, our careers, change, travel, mental and emotional health, spiritual comfort zones, and personal safety, just to identify a few. Anxiety can spring from things we think are negative as well as positive, and it’s a prevalent issue because we’re coping with so many different forms and levels of stress, frustration, and fear.
I was recently interviewed by a woman researching a piece for the Huffington Post on what she referred to as ancient forms of healing, and when she asked me why I thought there was an increasing number of people in our tech-heavy world turning to crystals and other forms, this was my response:
“The times we live in are becoming increasingly stressful, demanding, and in some ways downright scary. Methods of coping from ten, 20 years ago are no longer sufficient to meet today’s demands. I think we’re turning back to the old because we’ve exhausted our present options and resources, and because ancient remedies and systems have stood the test of time.
What I also see in people is a desire for something more than their everyday work lives and personal obligations. Most ancient remedies sprung from a desire to be in harmony with ourselves, nature, and the source of life. There’s something very primal, nurturing, and sustaining in that connection.”
Does that resonate for you? If so, here are some old knowledge/new ways of helping to manage your anxiety with crystals and the healing spirit of nature. You can also find more in depth info and specific crystal combos in my book.
- Blue lace agate: this is an excellent crystal, and one of my personal faves, for cooling, calming, and centering an anxious mind. It’s especially good for people who get overwhelmed/anxious in crowds, during demanding or intense work hours, or who feel they have more to deal with than they can manage. Hold or wear it as needed.
- Lithium quartz: my other personal crystal fave for anxiety, wear this (preferably close to your heart chakra) when anxiety hits. It floods your system with warming, soothing love energy that helps bring anxiety to a minimum very quickly.
- Blue calcite: especially good for anticipatory anxiety. Wear it in the days or hours leading up to any event or circumstance that (the thoughts of which are) causing you anxiety.
- Smoky quartz & rose quartz: hold one in each hand immediately if you start to feel an anxiety attack coming on. Focus on the crystal energy flowing into your body through your hands, and take deep, steadying breaths. Every time your mind wants to stray, bring it back to the crystal vibes and your breath. Rose quartz calms the heart, nurtures the system, and smoky quartz clears stress and other tense energies from the body.
Nature essence: connecting regularly with nature or natural elements can also help to maintain lower levels of anxiety, and can subdue an anxiety attack either before or as it’s happening.
- Plants: have them around you, especially broad leafy varieties (they’re also more hardy for those of you who are not green thumb-like).
- Walking in a green areas: going even for a five minute walk in a green space (park, garden, tree-lined street, or also by a river or ocean) will help to subside an oncoming anxiety attack and/or keep you from spiraling.
- Bag of dirt: perhaps a weird suggestion, but this came through in a client’s Akashic Record reading. For people stuck in offices without sunlight and/or deep in urban areas, fill a paper bag (yes it does need to be paper) with soil, and hold it whenever you start to feel anxious or start spinning. This reconnects you instantly to the earth element and helps to ground/stabilize you.
- Animals: walk a dog or stroke a cat. Part of our nurturing relationship with animals is their presence. They help to ground and stabilize us by bringing our attention into the present moment, and by focusing us on our compassionate connection with another (and receiving that energy in return!). Animals can absorb our emotional energy empathically, so it’s important to reward them with play time afterwards so that they clear/release that energy.
If you know that you suffer from anxiety regularly, or if you’re experiencing acute anxiety now, have a couple of these forms of support ready, accessible or planned out so that they’re there when you need them. The more you can create structures of support and safety for yourself, the better off you’ll be.